Misunderstandings and fear about gender differences can make it very hard to be a Trans* person. The support of friends is very important.
You can support a Trans* friend in these ways:
- Accept that people have the right to their gender feelings. Let go of stereotypes about the way gender ought to be.
- Respect people’s gender choices. If you’re not sure, ask which pronoun they prefer you use with them.
- Learn all you can about different gender choices. The more you understand about gender issues, the easier it will be to support Trans* friends.
- Stay open to hearing more about your Trans* friends and about different gender identities. Listen if they want to talk about their experiences.
- Speak out against transphobic remarks or behavior. Help inform others about gender issues.